Fruit Scones roasting on an open fire
It’s been a busy year at the Portrait Gallery and here at the Heads up Blog we just wanted to say thank you to all the supporters of the Portrait of the Nation Project and wish you a very merry Christmas.
So as a special treat for those who miss the Portrait Gallery’s world famous scones, here is the secret recipe so you can make them at home again and again.
Spiced Fruit Scones
225g self raising flour
55g butter, softened
25g caster sugar
125g sultanas or dried cranberries
1 teaspoon mixed spice
pinch of salt
1. Heat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
2. Mix together the flour, mixed spice, salt and rub in the butter.
3. Stir in the sugar & sultanas or dried cranberries and then the milk to get a soft dough.
4. Turn on to a floured work surface and knead very lightly. Pat out to a round 2cm. Use a cutter to stamp out shapes and place on a baking sheet. Lightly knead together the rest of the dough and stamp out more scones to use it all up.
5. Brush the tops of the scones with a little milk. Bake for 12-15 minutes until well risen and golden.
6. Cool on a wire rack
If you don’t want to make them yourself, you can still get delicious scones at all our other Galleries. Check out our website to find out our Christmas and New Year opening times.